Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Own Personal Social Media Marketing Case Study

Whoa. I thought Twitter was over hyped as a marketing and communication tool. I was wrong.

Last Wednesday, I launched Which Test Won? my new publication for professional online marketers. Aside from less than $20 worth of Google AdWords ads and a partner's press release, all of the marketing for the site was via social media. It wasn't anything fancy, I just posted notes to my personal Twitter account, updated my Facebook page and my LinkedIn status, plus of course a quick post here at my blog. I'd been on personal hiatus for awhile before that and not actively doing any list building or self-promotion, so my total connections between all of these were roughly 1,500 people. Actually maybe fewer once you account for overlap.

The first week's traffic was way better than I anticipated. I expected a few hundred, not thousands! 60% of traffic was direct, so I don't officially know where those people came from, but it had to be word of mouth because there was nothing else out there. 34% of traffic was directly traceable to social media. Here's the breakdown:
44% Twitter
24% Facebook
22% 3rd party blogs (thank you!)
7% LinkedIn
3% This blog

You'd think by looking at this that the bulk of my connections were on Twitter -- but it's not the case. My personal Twitter list was tiny compared to my LinkedIn and Facebook accounts. Instead, I think Twitter drove so much more traffic because it goes viral so easily. Without prompting, friends, fans, and friends of friends all started Twittering about my new site amongst their connections. In comparison, LinkedIn doesn't make passing messages along very easy, so traffic was very low.

But that doesn't mean the lower-responding social media weren't worthwhile. Often the people who started Twittering had first heard about my new site via one of the other social media. So, it's all interconnected. You should not do just one.

Lastly, I've already noticed that Google is picking up Twitter references to my site very quickly in organic listings. When I Googled WhichTestWon this morning, multiple Twitter references came up, enabling me to dominate the search results... admittedly for my own brand name. But hey, it's better than a poke in the eye, and I can't help but hope it will lead to greater organic glory over the longterm.

So, go Twitter go! I'll report on more stats later as I gather them.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to have you back in the game Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,

    I'm one who Tweeted about WhichTestWon.com, which I learned about via LinkedIn.

    And, I just linked to this blog in my latest blog post.

    It's really good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might find use for Eric Peterson's Twitalyzer. It can give you data on which Twitter accounts were driving traffic to your site with some Google Analytics code-fu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is absolutely possible, I'm convinced, for a company of any size to launch and grow on a shoestring budget. It just takes persistence and ingenuity. Contributing to the community and taking the community in goes a long way to lifting Anne Holland Ventures higher in the search rankings. Testing concepts is easy. Then go for the real programs.

    ReplyDelete